Tuesday, December 26, 2006

On the kayak in Old Florida

I spent my last day in Florida paddling the Chassahowitzka River with my brother Jacob. The weather has been less than ideal, but today was perfect. The wind was blowing 10-20 mph all day, but wasn't a factor in the spring creeks that feed the main river channel. The water is crystal clear. It wells up through limestone caves carved by natural springs. The scenery is jungle like and primitive. It is nice to see this side of Florida.

Wildlife is everywhere. We ran into a manatee cow and calf 20 yards from the slip. They were so used to people that they stuck their noses right against the sides of our kayaks. There were the usual wading birds, ducks, otters, raccoons, etc. I took several photos with my new camera. I also shot some video that I will post via youtube and here. It was so much fun paddling upstream to the head springs and then slowly cruising with the current back down. Today felt like honest vacation. It makes me miss living here. Link to photos

No comments: